CLINICAL CASE STUDY
(voice loss after traumatic experience)
CLIENTs voice RETURNS AFTER 2 YEARS & ONLY 60 MINUTES of HYPNOSIS
- Client was diagnosed in 2015 with Psychogenic Dysphonia after a traumatic car accident. Since then she has only been able to speak in a barely audible whisper.
- Client reports having zero tone in her voice for the 2 previous years and just a hoarse whisper.
- Diagnosis reports "volume range extremely limited, with no voicing, relying on frication amplitude only. Palpation revealed significant crepitus, bulking of the sternocleidomastoid muscles and bulking of the floor of mouth. Voice handicap scored very high at 99/120 and reflux symptom scored 26/45. Client presented with psychogenic dysphonia likely as a result of internalised protective response following car accident".
- Client attempted vocal exercises and various physical therapy with no positive outcome. Told there's not much more to do but wait it out. Was told her "voice might come back or not". That was in 2015.
I met the client randomly out and about and got talking about her voice. I told her I was a vocal coach, natural medicine practitioner and hypnotherapist and that I would like to help her get her voice back. The result was that we did so very rapidly. Client is doing extremely well voice is becoming clearer and clearer everyday and reports other profound transformational results in her perso
This was how CLIENT spoke for 2 years previous.
(SHARED WITH FULL PERMISSION)
THIS IS HOW CLIENT WAS SPEAKING AFER JUST 60 MINUTES OF HYPNOTHERAPY.
(SHARED WITH FULL PERMISSION)
HOW WE DID IT
Client had 2 sessions with me.
- Session 1 consisted of 90 minutes talking through her issues and the lead up to the voice loss and about 15 minutes of introducing her to going into hypnosis. No therapeutic work in session 1.
- Session 2 we did the deep therapeutic dive into the emotional under pinning root causes of the voice loss. Under hypnosis her voice came back during an intense and powerful emotional release during which she spoke out loud (still a hoarse whisper at this point) a lot of unsaid and unresolved emotional hurt - this technique in therapy is called 'Dialoguing With The Abuser/Hurter' (it is only really effective in the hypnotic alpha or theta brain waves. It is not so effective in the 'awake' logical and analytical beta brain wave). During the emotional out pouring clients full clear speaking voice began to emerge until, rather dramatically she was shouting as she said what she had not said for so long. Client did not recognise she was speaking in full, clear voice. I reported to her that she was speaking in a 'normal' voice. She could not hear it. She reported a strange feeling in her throat, chest, head and ears in her words "as if electrical energy is buzzing and moving". She said "I can hear my own voice as if it is an echo from another room". As she came out of hypnosis she began to realise she was speaking and reacted emotionally in wonder, amazement and joy. I will continue to work therapeutically and emotionally with this client to process more underlying emotions and residues.